October marks the anniversary of the Wordle. A perfect recipe for the nerds in the fall, Wordle has crossed millions of users since its release. According to research by The Conversation, 3 million people worldwide have played Wordle in 2022 alone.
Though Wordle has been the centre of attention due to its unique and simple layout, it has also become a house to unconventional vocabulary words. While creating this game to please his wife and her love for the spelling bee, Josh Wardle started off with five-letter words for players to guess. These 5-letter words make up for a total of 12500 words in English vocabulary. Most of these words are unknown to the common man. After careful observation, his wife narrowed the list to 2500 words, which was deemed enough for the players to be guessed for the next five years.
For Americans, words and their spellings offer a challenge of their own. There is a huge difference when it comes to how words are pronounced and spelt. In a spelling bee, the players are judged on the basis of how correctly they spell the word. Wordle, in return, offers the perfect opportunity to list down five-letter words in six guesses in their correct spot. This activity helps them in understanding the formation of the words and thereby, leads to more understanding of the foundational basis of the English language.
Wordle has thus become the ultimate medium for spelling bee fans to test their vocabulary and learn about new words each day, every day. In this article, we are going to talk about exploring Wordle as a spelling bee and helping you in perfecting your English – one guess at a time!
Wordle as a Spelling Bee – The Yearly Intense Competition
The spelling bee is one of the most-awaited competitions which people of all ages look forward to. In the past decade, the intensity of the game has been amplified. In 2014, 2015 and 2016, there have been co-winners of the spelling bee. Interestingly, in 2019, the committee had to announce 8 winners in its single edition, letting them change the rules for a more thrilling competition in the future.
Each year, the committee chooses 4000 words for the competition. Contestants are judged on the basis of these words in the first two rounds. For the third round and onwards, the word count is increased to 470,000 words which are chosen from the Merriam-Webster Unabridged. With the passing of each round, the intensity of the difficult words increases exponentially.
Among these words, ranging from 4000 to 470,000, there is a fair enough probability of 5-letter words between 1 to 12,500. Under these circumstances, Wordle comes to the rescue as each day it provides the player with unique and uncommon 5-letter words. In the upcoming section, we are going to discuss how you can use Wordle as a spelling bee and thereby, help yourself in perfecting your English, with one guess at a time.
Spelling Bee Wordle to Your Rescue
If you are a Wordle lover and have been a die-hard fan of Spelling Bee as well, you have landed at the right place. Spelling Bee Wordle is the right option for you not only to solve word games but also to put your vocabulary to the test.
Spelling Bee and Wordle are among the five games developed by the New York Times Games team. Though both games are different in nature, both these games help you become a puzzle solver with a daily word challenge. In both cases, you have to guess the letters in the correct order.
Resembling the bee hive, Wordle Spelling Bee asks the players to make words out of the given letters. To use Wordle as a spelling bee for perfecting your English with one guess at a time, follow the rules as mentioned below:
- The 7 letters are organized in a hive manner.
- The centre letter is highlighted in yellow colour, while the others are highlighted in grey colour.
- You must make a word out of these seven letters, which must be 4 letters long at least. Once you guess and enter the first word, the game begins
- A score of 1 is awarded for words with 4 letters whereas for words with letters more than four, each letter is rewarded with 1 point each. And if you are lucky enough to find a pangram, a word that contains all the letters from the hive, you get to collect 7 points in a single go.
- You can reuse the letters you’ve already mentioned in the word, as long as you need them.
- The purpose of the game is for you to score as many points as possible.
- As a bonus point, you can shuffle the letters if you feel stuck in making the word.
- As you keep on scoring points, you encounter even difficult words, until you reach the ‘Genius’ level. That’s when you have earned yourself a trophy.
- Similar to the Wordle game, this game comes with a daily puzzle challenge.
- To make things even easier for yourself, you can use Spelling Bee Solver to find the clues for your next word. You can customize your search by entering the number of letters, the beginning and end of letters and the type of dictionary.
- Unlike the Wordle, Spelling Bee Wordle allows you to have an unlimited number of attempts to enter as many words as possible.
Benefits of Spelling Bee Wordle
Spelling Bee Wordle helps you to use Wordle as a spelling bee to explore new words and thereby, enabling you in perfecting your English, with one guess at a time. With the given set of letters, you get to make words through countless combinations of letters. You can play spelling bee Wordle to spell and guess the correct words. Starting with 4-letter words, this daily my Wordle challenge is your perfect recipe for improving your English vocabulary!